Demolition excavator OEM turns to James Fisher Prolec
Building on its existing relationship, James Fisher Prolec (JFP) is supporting a major OEM in South Korea to enhance the safety of its high-reach demolition excavators.
Situation and challenges
- The OEM required a proven envelope monitoring solution for high-reach boom excavators to meet the safety standards, factory integration needs, and in-field serviceability demands of its global operations.
- A real-time load monitoring was required to help mitigate the risk of overloading and protect operators during high-reach demolition projects.
- The solution needed to be flexible by design to monitor multiple equipment configurations and increase safety for a range of machine types.
JF Prolec's solution
- To date, JFP have delivered over twenty of its leading PME700 envelope monitoring systems. This turnkey solution continuously compares the excavator’s position with the manufacturer’s predefined working range envelope. If safe limits are approached, the system alerts operators to help maintain stability at all times.
- Responding to the OEM’s specific needs, the team designed and developed a custom-made system that features an advanced TMI (total moment indicator). Providing full visibility of load, this warns operators when approaching safe working restrictions to maximise safety.
- Identifying pain points and machine operating tolerances, JFP actively engages with the OEM’s in-country product development divisions to minimise the chance of future downtime. JFP’s specialist team flew to South Korea to get its production workforce up to speed, delivering comprehensive training in system set-up and calibration.
Results and benefits
- The OEM’s demolition range now offers its customers an increased standard of safety for excavator operators across the globe.
- The solution integrated seamlessly into its pre-existing operations, keeping implementation downtime to a minimum.
- JFP’s 24/7 service line not only continues to support the OEM’s production department, but also provides its worldwide distribution network’s engineers with a responsive source of technical assistance, helping to keep the critical operations of its customers on track.